Posted On: June 7th, 2012
DreamRift was onstage at Nintendo’s official 3DS Software Showcase Press Conference on June 7th, 2012, where “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” was one of the top 5 titles chosen by Nintendo as its standout games for the year! It was a huge honor to have the only game in the event where a developer was invited to speak, and to share the stage with the likes of the President of Nintendo of America himself!
To view the Nintendo 3DS Software Showcase Press Conference:
Posted On: March 28th, 2012
“The soundtrack is also fantastic, coming off as a mix of Metroid-style tunes mixed with some Mega Man attitude.” –GameCritics.com
“The music in the starting section is a pitch-perfect pastiche of a Michiru Yamane Castlevania soundtrack’s opening area tune…” –1UP.com
The Soundtrack contains 31 tracks of unforgettable music by the amazingly talented composer Ian Stocker.
Posted On: March 26th, 2012
Monster Tale has been recognized by the good folks at Nintendo Power Magazine in their 2011 awards nominations for the best graphics on the Nintendo DS!
Posted On: November 23rd, 2011
Leading industry publication Game Developer Magazine has awarded Monster Tale Director Peter Ong with the highest-honor of being one of the top ten game designers in the world! For the full story, check out the Game Developer 50 article in their November 2011 issue!
A group of nasty kids have snuck into a secret world inhabited by monsters and enslaved them as their pets. This ragtag pack of kids is using the monsters to do all sorts of selfish, destructive things that will ultimately result in the downfall of the Monster World. That is, until little Ellie discovers the Monster World and befriends a mysterious young monster named Chomp. This dynamic duo sets out on a fantastic adventure where our Monster Tale begins….
- Developer Pedigree: From the key leads of the critically acclaimed DS game Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure (IGN’s Platform Game of the Year).
- Genre Mash-Up: Platform adventure on the top screen mixed with a deep pet raising game on the Touch Screen.
- Raise & Evolve Chomp: Train your monster companion in the Touch Screen Pet Sanctuary. Give Chomp food, equipment and toys so that it grows, evolves and gains new abilities to assist Ellie’s adventure. Chomp has approximately 30 unique forms with different attributes and abilities including attacks, shields, bombs, and bounces, among others. Chomp’s abilities are directly related to how you raise him so nurture him with the utmost care.
- Chomp Will Do Your Bidding: Ellie can summon Chomp from the bottom screen to the top screen at any time. Use Chomp to help fight enemies and leverage his abilities to access new areas.
- Explore Monstrous Worlds: Battle through 5 non-linear worlds and face off against a menacing kid-monster duo at the end of each. A Wicked Treehouse, Monster Nightclub, Ancient Ruins and even a Monster Express Train await you and your monster friend.
- Pamper Your Pet: Collect money throughout the game then use those earnings to shop for food, toys or equipment for your monster pet. How you use Chomp in battle and what items you give it–including weapons, pick-ups and power-ups–affect how it evolves. Defeated enemies may even drop items that Ellie can pick up to use for Chomp later on.
- Pump Ellie Up: Apply earnings toward new abilities or stat enhancements for Ellie to make her a more formidable fighter.
- Epic Battles: Go head to head with giant boss monsters and their kid-king masters! String together devastating combos and throw down some super attacks to get the upper hand.
- Conquer Thy Enemy: A myriad of inspired enemies await defeat. They fly, burrow, rocket, jump, teleport, crush and much more in lots of devious and challenging ways.
- Acquire Runes: Defeat certain boss characters or discover hidden areas to earn runes as you play. Gain permanent upgrades to give Ellie additional abilities like dash, roll and wall jump to aid her on the adventure.
DreamRift is a new independent video game developer comprised of veteran professionals who make innovative, high-quality, and successful games even in the most adverse of circumstances. Our team members have worked on titles collectively selling over 30 million units on all major game consoles in conjunction with high profile publishers such as Disney, Activision, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Majesco, Sega, Sony, and Nintendo as well as licensors including DC Comics, Hasbro, the NBA, the NCAA, the NFL, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Our mission is to create top tier games at a fraction of the investment from publishers that would normally be needed for them to acquire world class products.
Our founders developed the original game “Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure” on the Nintendo DS as Lead Designer and Lead Programmer at Electronic Arts prior to forming DreamRift. Along with DreamRift’s latest releases, “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” (Nintendo 3DS) and “Monster Tale” (Nintendo DS), we have a proven track record of producing “Triple A” caliber titles with unprecedentedly efficient teams. More information about the game can be found here:
Co-Founder, Creative Director
Peter Ong is a veteran game developer with well over a decade of professional experience. He has driven game development both as a Design Lead and Producer on a broad range of team structures ranging from a modest team of under 20 people, to a team with over 150 people and a 20+ million dollar budget. Peter is responsible for the creation of innovative and acclaimed action-adventure titles such as “The Red Star,” “Vexx,” and “Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure,” as well as high profile licensed titles such as “Superman Returns: The Videogame” and “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” for major industry-leading publishers Electronic Arts and Disney Interactive. For his recent work of directing the award-winning game “Monster Tale,” Peter was named one of the Top Ten Designers of the year in “Game Developer Magazine”. Having worked in either Designer or Producer positions for the full-cycle of development from conceptualization to final production on every game he has been involved with, Peter’s ability in both creative and business/production roles has led to the successful shipment of every title he has worked on.
Co-Founder, Technical Director
Ryan Pijai is responsible for overseeing all technology development for DreamRift. Ryan received his Computer Science Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Cornell University, where he graduated Cum Laude with Honors at the top of his class. He brings with him a wide range of professional industry experience including Lead Programmer at Electronic Arts, the world’s leading video game publisher, as well as Tools Programmer at Autodesk, the makers of AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max. Additionally, Ryan has handled AI, Graphics, Physics, Sound, User Interface, and Gameplay programming for multi-million selling sports games, next generation open world action games, and handheld games such as his most recently completed projects as Lead Programmer: the original intellectual properties “Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure” and “Monster Tale” for the Nintendo DS.
Previously Developed Titles
by DreamRift Team Members
- Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (Electronic Arts, DS)
- Monster Tale (Majesco, DS)
- Metroid Prime (Nintendo, Wii)
- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision, Xbox360/PS2/PS3/Wii)
- Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (Disney, 3DS)
- Tony Hawk’s Project 8 (Activision, Xbox/Xbox360/PS2/PS3/PSP)
- The Red Star (XS Games, PS2)
- Vexx (Acclaim Entertainment, Xbox/PS2/Gamecube)
- Turok: Evolution (Acclaim Entertainment, Xbox/PS2/Gamecube)
- NCAA Football (Electronic Arts, Xbox360/PS3)
- Madden NFL (Electronic Arts, Xbox360/PS3)
- Treasure World (Aspyr Media, DS)
- futureU: The Prep Game for SAT (Aspyr Media, DS)
- Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground (Activision, Xbox360/PS2/PS3/Wii)
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Nintendo, Wii)
- Superman Returns: The Videogame (Electronic Arts, Xbox/Xbox360/PS2)
- The Tale of Despereaux (Atari, DS)
- Dementium: The Ward (Gamecock, DS)
- Cars: Mater-National Championship (THQ, Xbox360/PS2/PS3)
- NBA Jam (Acclaim, Xbox/PS2)
- The Incredible Hulk (Sega, DS)
If you are a fan, a member of the press, or a publisher and would like to get in touch with us regarding potential opportunities, please send an email to:
You can also use the form below.
Thank you for your interest!
“Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure” and Electronic Arts have no affiliation with DreamRift and all game software titles cited were developed by team members prior to establishing DreamRift. Listed games are property of their respective companies. All other companies mentioned on this page are not affiliated with DreamRift in any way.
DreamRift is in no way affiliated with IGN.com, Gametrailers.com, Destructoid.com, Wired.com, or Gamespy.com, and all content within links to these external third party web sites are the property of respective web sites. External linked content does not officially represent the views or opinions of DreamRift.
Games and companies listed under “Previously Developed Titles by DreamRift Team Members” section have no affiliation with DreamRift and were developed by team members prior to joining DreamRift. Listed games are property of their respective companies. All other companies mentioned on this page are not affiliated with DreamRift in any way.
©2009-2013 DreamRift, LLC. All Rights Reserved.